Tuesday 18 October 2016

Extended arm technique

I experimented with the extended arm technique last week and created more free hand effects with it on a large piece of paper.

My subject matter was an old piece of dried corn. I chose this because it has a bumpy texture and it has an interesting shape for me to experiment and draw with.


First I experimented with a piece of newspaper and black and white acrylic. I chose a section of the corns shape and used different techniques with the brush to make different textures. For example I dabbed the brush and used the end of the brush to create tone.

Next I used a much bigger piece of brown paper with an emulsion layer to create another final piece. Here I experimented in a much more free-handed way and did much quicker strokes of the brush. I also did different sizes of lines to have bold and thin lines. I also used less smooth shading and more textured shading like dabbing and using the end of the brush to smudge existing wet paint.
I feel like I could make this better by making it look less like the corn and layering more different techniques and textures onto the piece.





No comments:

Post a Comment