Monday 19 September 2016

Experiments - part 1

For today's lesson, I experimented with different mediums and materials to create different effects.
The subject I chose is a cone, this is because it has a different texture depending on the direction you feel it. If you drag your finger downwards, it has a smooth texture but if you drag your finger upwards it has a rough texture.
The section I decided to draw for all my pieces is this:

Experiments

Most of these took around 1 minute, excluding prep time.


For my first experiment, I used a simple 2B pencil and paper with my dominant (right) hand to create this drawing of the section of paper. Paper is smooth, so you can make any marks on it you wish.

Secondly, I use exactly the same materials except I drew this with my non-dominant (left) hand. With my non-dominant hand, the lines are a lot more free and 

I used Biro again with tracing paper and my non-dominant (left) hand. 

I used Biro again in conjunction to pencil on paper. 

Then I used 2 pencils together. I found using 2 mediums at once harder to control but it gives an interesting effect. 


This time we also drew with Biro but instead I used brown paper with my non-dominant (left) hand. I like brown paper due to the texture it gives you when you draw on it.

Next experiment was with brown paper and graphite. Graphite is my favourite medium when used in combination with brown paper because it creates the lined textures when rubbed onto the brown paper. 

This was a combination of paper with compressed charcoal rubbed onto it, with rubber to make out the lines. I found it harder to create tone and lines with this combination but I think it is interesting to look at the texture it brings.

Next experiment is a combination of black charcoal and wallpaper. I like this combination because it creates a rough texture with charcoal and it is easy to create very bold lines. 


With this I used the same mediums and paper except I also used white charcoal. This gives an extra tone to the work. 


For this I used charcoal with a piece of map. I chose charcoal for the rough effect it gives. 


I used graphite and some college as a background. The combination of different textures stands out with graphite.


I also used college but instead I used Biro. It doesn't give such a rough effect but it is easier to control.


My favourite experiment and combination I used was graphite with brown paper and also charcoal . Both give a rough texture which my subject matter had.






No comments:

Post a Comment